Bisous

Adventure updates, photos (mostly of food and bicycles), and amusing stories (at least I think so).

25 November 2006

Yay, finally...it's taken the cyber 23 minutes to pull up this page!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Although I didn't get to celebrate with turkey and pumpkin pie, I did have 'thanksgiving dinner' with a group of peace corps volunteers from the Adamaoua province. As an appatizer, we had melted velveta (from someone's care package from home...i forgot how delicious salt processed cheese food is!) and bread. And, for the main course, we had spaghetti while listening to Christmas music. Finally, (and i think better than any pumpkin or apple or pecan pie i've ever had) we had between 9 of us...and 8 inch circular brownie. It was chewy and gooey and chocolately, and pretty much the best thing ever!

And, on top of my fabulous thanksgiving celebration, I recieved some really good news on the actual day of thanksgiving. So good in fact, that I called my family waking them up at 5 am!
I found out from IES (the program that I will be studying in France with) that I am recieving the Cross Cultural scholarship for my time in France...for the amount of $3,000. (the people in the cyber must have thought i was crazy...sitting in front of my computer beaming and balling at the same time!) The scholarship really makes all the difference in the world for my next semester. What a blessing.

Also, I realized that I should update all of you on what I'm actually doing right now! It is the period (as i believe i said before) of the independent project. I am studying women's literacy in Ngaoundere. (hmmm, i feel like i've said this a million times and maybe i actually already have written it....so sorry if i'm repeating myself!). For religious, cultural, and even geographical reasons, women's literacy rates in the north are much much lower than in the rest of the country. And, as it is, only about 60% of Cameroonian women are literate. Anyways, I've been working with and organisation of women who come together 4 days a week to learn to read and write and speak french. They are strong, shy, beautiful, smart, and determined women. At their request, I begin the class each day with a 30 minute English lesson. (by they way, 'th' is absolutely impossible for anyone to pronounce...and it's in so many words!) Some days I feel incredibly busy, and other days it seems as if I do nothing. Some days I find all of the information I'm looking for, and other days I spend hours wait for people to show up. But, I love the freedom of my schedule. I get to spend lots of time with my family...and yesterday I finished Crime and Punishment (which I only started a week and a half ago!). It is really amazing that I only have 3 weeks left in Cameroon. (also rather bizarre that Christmas i a month from today and I have yet to see a single santa, or tree, or stocking...)

I've spent all day today writing a very detailed outline for my paper... which is why my writing has gone to mush and this is a very rambly post!

I hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing thanksgiving with friends and family.

bisous
brianne

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the Cross Cultural Scholarship from the Midland Branch AAUW.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brianne-
it sounds like you are doing amazing stuff. It blesses me to hear about your exploits. I will be in the france,german, swiss border around dec. 18 or so...so if you are around in Europe let me know cuz i'll be there for a few days. keep up the great stuff you do!
-Jesse Mortensen

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brianne i love you so much! i JUST recieved your letter and it made me smile in a million ways.

so there is this girl, Christy, that i go to church with that will be spending 2 years in Cameroon with wycliffe bible translators and i told her about you studying abroad in Cameroon. she asked about how to talk to you or find out about your time in Cameroon so i gave her your blog address, i hope you don't mind. :)

i'm glad to see you have had a wonderful thanksgiving, and CONGRATS on the scholarship love! that's amazing, you deserve it more than anyone, im sure.

i love you brianne :) enjoy the rest of your time in africa, i would have written you back, but i odubt you'd recieve it before you leave...i'll wait and write you again when you get to France after the holidays.

until later,
-kris hendon

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brianne,
I've really enjoyed following your adventures in Africa since September, and am looking forward to reading all about France next month!

I sent your Dad a check for you for Christmas which he said he could just deposit into your account. So....Merry Christmas!

I know you will have a great time in Germany with your friend for Christmas and then on to France for your Spring Semester. What day will you arrive in France?

I hope to be able to come see you sometime this coming spring and you can take me around Paris with your fluent French!

Love you so much!
Grama Ginger

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home