Bisous

Adventure updates, photos (mostly of food and bicycles), and amusing stories (at least I think so).

01 October 2011







So, what should you do when things don’t happen as expected with your travel plans? Go to Argentina!

It worked so well the first time, and this time (aside from another ridiculous border crossing) it turned out fabulously as well. We took yet another epic bus ride up and over the Andes during which I took entirely too many photos.











Our first destination was Bariloche, the chocolate capitol of Argentina. Yes, that’s right. From vineyards to chocolate fountains. We indulged in some incredible truffles (and bars and gelatto...)while enjoying the Switzerland-esque mountain lake view.





We then took a bus an hour or so south to a little hippie town called El Bolson. We stayed with an adorable family and actually ended up running their hostel for a day so they could run errands. Definitely adding that one to the CV: ran a hostel in Argentina.
 

 
On our last day in El Bolson, we went to the craft market and made a series of bad budget decisions that ended with Lauren and I each having GIANT woolen ponchos and pretty sterling rings.  We also had some of the most delicious empanadas and french fries ever.






Right now, back in the grandmother’s house in Puerto Montt, Chile, I’m happy with my purchases. This poncho is snuggly and warm, and I hope the ring – whose center stone is the national stone of Argentina – will always remind me to be flexible and breezy (or at least flexible and breezy enough to remember to run to Argentina when things get bad!).
After all of these spontaneous travel changes and snafoos, it seems that we’ve finally gotten a good turn. We heard back from an organic farm/commune on the island of Chiloe here in Chile. It was my first choice farm from the beginning. I had emailed them back in June, but they’d told me that they were booked during our time here. I re-emailed them when our other farm failed. We heard back that they could have us beginning October 1. Lauren and I had to fill out a rather extensive form in Spanish about our world views, how we contribute to a healthy community, and what kind of meditation and art we practice. Somehow, despite our clunky, ridiculous Spanish, they accepted us.
I’m so pleased to get to have a farm experience. From all of our communication with this family, it sounds like we’re in for a very calm, whole, stimulating, artistic time. There may even be yoga involved. And greenhouse strawberrries. There might even be (enter fulfillment of childhood dream)...... PENGUINS!







1 Comments:

Anonymous John D said...

I read this post earlier but just came across your closing, about penguins.
OMG that would be cool. Make sure to take pictures. And possibly adopt one to take back for me.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home