Bisous

Adventure updates, photos (mostly of food and bicycles), and amusing stories (at least I think so).

16 September 2006

Beignets....pronounced benyays.
My papa works for the university of Dschang, a good job but one which must feed 9 mouths. Here the women contribute as much as the men, if not more. Traditionally, the women cultivate the familys land (pretty much a huge huge garden), but my family lives in a very compact residential neighborhood. So, to supplement the family income, my maman and aunt make and sell beignets. There are two kinds; one is like a doughnut (flour and sugar and yeast) and the other is made from bananas and a half and half mixture of maize flour and white flour. Each night my aunt peels about 70 bananas into a huge wooden bowl and then smashes them with a 'pillon' or a large wooden bat like smashing utensil. To make the corn flour she also must remove the kernels from the cob (and this takes alot of cobs!) and let them soak in hot water overnight. She pours the already soaked kernels into a bag and carries it on her head to the neighborhood market half a mile away to have it ground into flour, which depending on whether the machine decides to work or not, may take about an hour. She carries the flour home and mixes it with the white flour and then mixes the batter together (in an even 'huger' wooden bowl) by hand. Actually I should say 'by back' because its truly and aerobic workout....like performing the job of an industrial blender! The batter then sits overnight with the yeast to rise and my maman and papa rise at 3 30 in the morning to start frying the beignets in palm oil. Each batch of batter makes approx 600 beignets, which are then sold for 10CFA apiece. So, if nearly every beignet is sold, my maman and aunt make about 20 dollars a day, a very significant contribution but for an unbelievable amount of work. For the time Im with my family, Ive taken on the job of banana smasher, teasing my brother that my aim is to become stronger than him (the size of my upper arms seems to be a culturally universal source of humour!). And, tomorrow morning I am rising at 3 30 with my maman to observe and hopefully help with the process. So, life is difficult, but it is also filled with laughter and teasing and...the most recent source of amusement...pipecleaners! I brought two bags of the fuzzy wires and broke them out last night. My family had never seen them, and I will end by saying that when I got up this morning, all of my little siblings were still sporting bent neon furry glasses!! (when asked, my 3 year old brother explained to me that he can see the television better with them:)
I love hearing from everyone, so thanks
bisous
Brianne

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so fun! I am loving the ability to experience your life in near "real time"! So glad to hear the pipecleaners are a hit!! How fun. I'll think of your new "banana smashing job" the next time I complain of sore muscles from pilates!
Happy smashing,
Love ya MOM

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is truly wonderful that in this world that is sometimes full of prejudice and cultural misunderstanding, that people from all walks of life can agree that your arms are funny. :) Think of all the intangible barriers those arms can break (since they aren't breaking many solid ones). I'll write you a real postcard soon. Keep blogging and continue having a great time. We all miss you.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brianne-
I just thought I would say hi. I have found your cool-Cameroon website. Its exciting to hear about your crazy stuff there. I was kind of under the imrpession that you would be living in an African village with huts and stuff, but it seems i am a little bit out of touch with Africa. I am having fun in new york, i hung out with the Secretary of the Air Force a little bit the other day, and such exciting things. Its not africa, but i manage. I want to know about when you'll be in Frnace cuz I should be in Europe around Dec. 16 or hopefully sooner. I will hope to see you then. Keep up the good times over there.
-Jesse

12:53 PM  
Blogger paris said...

so when do we get to see some pictures?

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wrote you.
be watching your mail my friend:)

i love you!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home